Flood and Water Disaster Coverage
Did You Know…?
- Floods and flash floods are the most common natural disaster, occurring in all 50 states and have been increasing in frequency over the last 20 years?
- Floods cause devastating damage to buildings and personal belongings?
- One in three flood insurance claims are generated outside areas considered “flood-prone”?
- Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage?
Before a Flood:
- Make a written, photographic and/or videotaped inventory of household possessions and property, and store it in a safe place (e.g. the home of a relative or safe deposit box) with insurance policies, documents and other valuables.
- Take a first aid class from your local American Red Cross chapter.
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit that includes a first aid kit, canned food, non-electric can opener; bottled water (emergency managers recommend 3 gallons per person), rubber boots, rubber gloves, battery-powered radio, flashlight and extra batteries.
- Identify evacuation locations and have a “back up plan” just in case.
During a flood:
- When a warning is issued, listen to local radio and TV stations for information.
- When a watch is issued, move furniture and valuables to higher floors of your home.
- Abandon your car if stalled in rapidly rising waters and climb to higher ground. Do not drive into any large puddles or into water that seems to be moving rapidly.
After a flood:
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible to see if you need to file a claim.
- Make temporary repairs to prevent further damage. Keep all receipts.
- Delay permanent repairs until your insurer approves reimbursement.
- Get any necessary construction permits from your community.
- Prepare an inventory of all damaged or destroyed personal property. Take photos of damaged areas.
- Save remnants of damaged or destroyed property for your insurance company adjuster.
- Meet with your adjuster before signing anything with contractors, lawyers or public adjuster.
- Let your car dry out before trying to start it.
- Protecting yourself is easy!
Flood insurance picks up where your homeowners insurance leaves off. It is not expensive, especially when compared with the monthly payments for disaster loans, and it is easy to get — just call your professional insurance agent at Atlass Insurance 1-800-959-3313 or visit us online today. For a flood insurance quote please complete the flood insurance quote request form at www.GoAtlassInsurance.com.